Thursday, November 24, 2011

Red spots on yellow flower

A normal morning for me. I walk out my door. Take a deep breath of fresh air. Glance at my newly planted herb garden. Thinking to myself : "Ah… the beauty and smell of these excellent plants. The portulacas look lovely. Oh, this is a lovely one, yellow with red spots….. wait…. spots… moving. *rub eyes*… spots still moving…." Sure that I hadn't done drugs, I take a closer look. At the new vantage point I can see that there are many tiny red spiders running around this little yellow blossom which is no bigger than a silver dollar. 

Here is the garden, as i saw it when i walked out the door. Note the yellow flower with red spots  in the foreground. 
A closer Look! 

Here is another look!
I believe that these spiders are called Red Spider Mites. I can't be certain, and they did no damage to my plants. They only stayed on this one particular flower and I did not see them again. From what I've read other people have had infestations of them. That wasn't my experience. I loved having them pass through!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment